Sunday, May 22, 2011

As Per Tradition

I am fortunate enough to have visited London so many times in the past that I know exactly where everything is and how to get there. Today, I put my knowledge to the test as I made my way to High Street Kensington on my own. A quick walk up Gloucester Road and I had made it by the Gardens.

London weather is so bipolar. As I entered Kensington Gardens, the lining of thin grey clouds that had blanketed the sky all morning had been blown away by a pleasant wind. The sky was blue and temperature superb. There was a soccer (or football!) match going on just inside the Gardens. How I wished I could join in! Instead, my gladiator shoes and I began cheering for the team wearing black.
People joined in as the game progressed. It started out with just a few boys!

A crowd began to gather, watching the match. The woman next to me asked for details...but I knew as little as she did! The weather decided to tease us again. Though all the grey clouds had disappeared, it began to sprinkle for a few minutes. It's the oddest thing when the sun is shining brightly and the sky is blue and clear above...then you feel hundreds of tiny raindrops tickling your skin.

I wandered around Kensington Gardens after watching the match for a bit. Everything is so green and pretty! It's lovely to have this much open green space in the middle of London. And despite it being Sunday morning, there were a fair number of people enjoying a day in the park, whether it be biking, walking, tanning, rollerblading, or just laying about on the grass.

"Kensington Palace is open."
Attempting at being artsy. Even though I'm just listening to music.

Pigeons

Rollerblading in the park

I had some errands to run on High Street Ken. I've figured out exactly how to evade all the tourist traps in that area, just like the locals do. In order to look part of the typical London crowd, walk quickly and listen to your iPod. That way, other people won't bother you by trying to sell "Will and Kate mugs for £1  ." I've found that this technique is quite efficient. Needless to say, I was able to listen to my music while running about the High Street, getting all my errands done.
High Street Kensington and Church Street (and St. Mary's Church)

I love the High Street, but the little road just off of it, Church Street, is one of my favourites. It's just so quaint and picturesque.

How lovely is Church Street?

After my morning on my own, I met my aunt for lunch and we decided to take the tube to Westminster Station. After visiting London an innumerable amount of times, I had definitely seen Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, and Westminster Abbey many times before. However, as per tradition, I just had to go again. And especially on such a beautiful day! In addition, since the Royal Wedding had just happened, and President Obama was flying into the UK later this week, all the scaffolding and rubbish had been taken down and cleared away. So, it was the perfect day to go take a look at my favourite sites.

The minute you step out of Westminster Station, the intricate architecture at the base of Big Ben greets you and draws your eye high up to the clock face. I can never get over how magnificent the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben are (especially without scaffolding!). Seeing them is just something I will always have to do when I'm in London (until I actually move here, of course).

Big Ben at 4:45pm

View through the gates at Big Ben

Trying effects

Oliver Cromwell

Parliament in Sepia

Gothic Architecture
Big Ben and Parliament in Black and White

Right across the road from Big Ben is Westminster Abbey. Being a huge history freak, specializing in British monarchy, I absolutely love going into the Abbey and looking around at the Kings and Queens there. Elizabeth I's chamber is a definite must-see for me. I've been in too many times to count, so today I skipped out and just viewed the beautiful building from the outside. As I walked around the side, tourists had flocked to that entrance. I passed a group of Americans and one guy said loudly, "Oh my god I just saw this place on TV two weeks ago when Kate walked into the church, it's surreal actually being here." I just found that hilarious.

Front of Westminster Abbey 
Hey guys, not trying to be an awkward tourist or anything...
I've noticed that as I keep coming back to London, it seems to get smaller and smaller. At least to me. As in, I know which way to walk or which bus to catch to get from Westminster to Trafalgar Square to Covent Garden to Knightsbridge to Oxford Street and back home to Kensington. Khala and I made the trek from Westminster Abbey up to Whitehall, past Downing Street where the Prime Minister lives, and onto Trafalgar Square. Being a Sunday evening, it wasn't as jam-packed as usual, which was pleasant. I saw that there was a new addition to the Square! A giant countdown clock for the 2012 Olympics has been set up. Only 432 days until I will be back here to watch them!

Countdown to the 2012 London Olympics!
Other than that, T-Square looked the same, with Horatio Nelson's statue staring down at the  demonstrators and tourists.
Horatio Nelson overlooking Trafalgar Square

National Portrait Gallery from Trafalgar Square

Demonstration against...everything basically. Cuts, war, government, drinking...
This felt like getting reacquainted with London, all this typical sightseeing I do with my family every time we come. I honestly feel as though I have two homes: here in London and then back in America...

Okay, so hopefully you aren't all bored with what I've been getting up to in London before I actually get to Istanbul. You want to read about THAT, because THAT is what this blog is technically about: Istanbul, Turkey! Well, I better be off and pack then. I leave tomorrow at 4:45am, so the next post will definitely be about a new city for me! One night left, so excited!! Cheers :)

2 comments:

  1. YOUR GOING TO TURKEY TOMORROW! AAAAAAAH!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why on earth am i not with you??? oh well. you missed a marvelous harry potter weekend...

    ReplyDelete