Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Basilica Cistern and the Egyptian Spice Bazaar

Our second to last destination was the Basilica Cistern. It was a very unusual but very interesting tourist attraction. The vast space under the roads of Istanbul was naturally air-conditioned and water sometimes dripped from the stone ceiling and ran down the giant pillars holding up the roof. There are more than 336 columns supporting the roof and they are each almost 26 feet high! However, we could only walk through some of it, because the rest was blocked up in the 19th century. Tarik took us around the underwater cavern and I realized how beautiful it would look if a person were to have an event there. And there are events, such as concerts, because of the natural acoustics. Do you think an event would be nice here?
The Basilica Cistern: where Turkish citizens used to collect water, but no longer
We emerged from the underground, squinting and gathering our bearings, before heading down to the Bosphorus area to visit the Egyptian Spice Bazaar. Tarik told us that the bazaar was built in the early 17th century with money from Egypt (where it gets its name). It came to specialize in spices from the orient because Istanbul is on the trade route called the Spice Road, between Asia and Europe. When we entered, we were immediately swept along with the thick crowd. There were so many people looking, selling, bartering, and buying spices, nuts, sweets, seeds and more. Tarik took us to one of his favourite stalls, Hazer Baba, so we could buy Turkish Delight. The little shop's owners were so sweet: they kept offering us samples of every flavour of TD, as well as dried fruits and chocolates. The pomegranate Turkish Delight was so delicious that I had to buy a box. There was a boy about my age working in the shop as well. While my aunt was choosing her flavours, the boy asked me where I was from and tried to talk to me, though he didn't know much English (and I know not a single word in Turkish). He brought me a warm apple tea and gave me a seat next to him so I could watch him work as he weighed nuts and saffron for other customers. He was so hospitable, just as everyone else here in Istanbul. We left the store, after I said goodbye to the boy, with a big package of Turkish Delight and Apple Tea bags. I wish I had caught his name.

One (calm!) hallway of the L-shaped Spice Bazaar

Spices for sale

Tarik's friend's shop where we bought Turkish Delight and Apple Tea!

The Spice Bazaar ended our tour with Tarik. I thoroughly enjoyed acting as a tourist, which is surprising. Normally I hate it when I have to be so obvious as a foreigner, but everybody in Istanbul, such as that boy who bought me an apple tea, is so friendly and helpful. Random old men on the streets or drinking tea and playing backgammon with their friends will look over and say hello to us. It's so cute. And it makes Istanbul a really great city, in my opinion!

3 comments:

  1. The spice Bazaar sounds so interesting. What was the name of the shop you made a new friend (the boy)? What was his name? I like new and interesting names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very significant Information for us, I have think the representation of this Information is actually superb one. This is my first visit to your site. Gays Istanbul

    ReplyDelete